Wednesday, April 25, 2012

side-tracked.

Okay, I know I was going to show you guys this fabric wrapped frame, but I've gotten kind of side-tracked.
That happens a lot with me. You'll get used to it ;)

I thought I had enough fabric to do my frame, but I was wrong. So, so wrong. So I'm on the hunt for a couple of vintage sheets this week.
So I decided I'd try to make some fabric wrapped hangers. Like fancy padded hangers for your skinny strap tops and dresses, but shabby looking. And cheap.

Here's what I came up with:



Pretty cute :)
And that dress that is hanging on it is my new favorite Goodwill find, a Steppin' Out little black party dress from the 90s that is toooooo adorable. And I even found shoes to go with it! (The photo does not do the hanger justice :( sorry for the horrible picture. I'm doing this while Ellie is napping and I'm kind of trapped upstairs with her for a bit.)

So all week long I've been telling my friends at {Etsy} about these awesome things I find on Fridays.
On Fridays, my aunt and I go thrifting at local thrift shops, and sometimes if the weather is nice and Ellie is at her grandma's then we go fossil hunting.
My family has some land with a large quarry on it, and it is completely full of fossils. We love to go out there and see what we can find.


You can purchase an instant collection of these fossilzed shells and coral {here} and {here}
I think they would be so cool in a terrarium! Or made into jewelry....I may even try wire-wrapping some myself.

My aunt and uncle sent some pictures off to a professional and he believes these are all from the Ordovician period, over 400 million years ago and before dinosaurs, when everything was basically an ocean (at least that's what I think. I'm no expert at this stuff. I just like to go find these little treasure.) These fossils came from the same area where we have also found tentacles from a nautilus type giant squid from that period (those photos were also looked at), and we have found several trilobites as well.
Right now we are trying to figure out a way to get the trilobites out of the rock they are in, because it probably weighs 2 tons.

So my aunt and I have started calling these adventures Treasure Hunting Friday.
And of course I'm going this week.
My friend Brittany (creator of the Little Green Guy, the most adorable little monster dolls and artwork {LittleGreenGuy}) asked me if I was going to blog about it.

So yes, yes I am.
I'll try to get some fun pictures and hopefully the weather will be perfect for fossil hunting. And also hopefully I can talk my mom into babysitting :)

Hopefully by Saturday I will have an awesome treasure-hunting post for you lovelies!
Now I'm off for some me-time before my little monster wakes up. Angel. I mean angel ;)
xo!
Rachel


2 comments:

  1. I love the fossil pictures!! I used to dream of being a paleontologist :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh can't wait to read about the treasure hunting :)

    ReplyDelete